Speech by NIMD Executive Director Roel von Meijenfeldt, delivered at the XVII International Annual Meeting in Political Studies on the Future of the Free World, Lisbon, Portugal, June 27th, 2009.
La démocratie est d’abord un état d’esprit
(Pierre Mendes, France)
The presentation focuses on two challenges to the future of democracy:
- The need to support young democracies to build a strong network of democratically governed states as the best guarantor of security and prosperity.
- The need to reinvigorate the primacy of politics in managing the global common goods and interest.
Two relevant contextual dynamics are identified:
- The need to modernize modernization theory.
- The challenge of the paradox of globalization vs. glocalization.
The presentation concludes with three recommendations:
- The need of an European Consensus on democracy support in its external relations.
- Focus on support for young democracies and invest in strong international network of democratically governed states
- Invest in the search for a global social contract to democratically govern the global common goods and interests